Having a strong pelvic floor is important for so many reasons. For starters, healthy pelvic muscles are essential during pregnancy, labor, and the delivery process.
During childbirth, a woman’s pelvic floor muscles have to work more to support the baby’s weight as it grows in the womb. Regardless of how a woman delivers her baby, vaginally or by cesarean, their pelvic floor muscles will be impacted in the process.
However, even if you aren’t having a baby, a healthy pelvic floor is important for improving your bladder control. Additionally, it can lead to a more satisfying sex life, which is something every woman can appreciate!
One of the best ways to enhance your pelvic floor strength is by using Lelo’s Luna Beads! Luna Beads are weighted Kegel balls specially designed to strengthen your pelvic muscles and provide you with greater neuromuscular control.
In this article, I’ll teach you exactly how to use Lelo’s Luna Balls for the best results. Then, I’ll go through some of the main benefits of incorporating Luna Balls into your daily routine.
1. Determine How Many Beads You Want To Insert
When you receive your Luna beads, you’ll notice that the pack comes with 4 balls, 2 pink and 2 blue. The pink balls are the lightest, weighing around 0.06 pounds, whereas the blue balls are slightly heavier, weighing 0.08 pounds.
Additionally, the set comes with a silicone harness, which permits you to insert 2 balls simultaneously. The top ball in the harness is called the “crown” ball, and the bottom ball with the retraction cord is called the “foundational” ball.
If you’ve never used Kegel balls before, I recommend starting with just one pink ball. However, if this ball feels too light, you can progress to a blue ball.
For more advanced users, I recommend using 2 balls simultaneously with the harness.
2. Clean and Lubricate Your Beads
Before getting down to business, you need to make sure that your hands and your Lelo Kegel Balls are sanitized. Below are the instructions:
- Scrub your hands with some good ol’ soap and water. You want them to be super clean before you put them anywhere near your intimate area.
- Wash off your Luna Beads with warm water and antibacterial soap. Then, dry them off with a clean towel.
- Apply some water-based lubrication to your Lelo Luna Balls. Never use silicone-based lube, as it may change the texture of the beads, making them feel gross and tacky. Apply enough lube to help with insertion, but not too much that the balls become slippery, as this will make them difficult to insert.
3. Insert the Beads Into Your Vagina
Next, it’s time to insert your beads. It’s not dissimilar to inserting a tampon. However, Lelo’s Luna beads have a wider girth. You’ll want to introduce the beads to your body with a firm but gentle push.
- Lie on your back and open your legs to prepare yourself for insertion.
- If you only want to insert one ball, firmly press it inside you until it’s resting above your pelvic floor muscles, about an inch inside your vagina. The bead should sit low on the muscles instead of going upwards as a tampon would.
- If you choose to insert two balls, insert the “crown” ball first. It should go further inside of your vagina, resting approximately where a tampon would. Once it’s in place, insert the foundational bead. This one should rest lower, above your pelvic floor muscles.
If everything is inserted correctly, the retraction cord should be hanging outside of your vagina, allowing for easy removal.
Some people have difficulty inserting the balls while lying down. If this is the case for you, try tilting your pelvis upwards to encourage the balls to “fall” into your vagina. Or, if that doesn’t work, try inserting them while standing with one leg up on a chair or stool.
4. Use Your Pelvic Muscles To Move the Bead
Once your beads are inserted, you can start performing exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor. Here’s how you do it:
- Insert your finger into your vagina until you can feel the balls.
- Tighten your pelvic muscles until you feel the balls lift upwards and inwards, away from your finger.
- Keep squeezing for 5 seconds, then take a 5-second break.
Repeat this exercise 5 times to complete a set. Try to perform 3 sets per day for the best results.
5. Remove the Luna Beads
Typically, it’s safe to leave Luna Kegel Balls in your vagina for up to 6 hours. However, if you have any concerns, you can always talk to your doctor to determine what’s best for you and your body.
Since Lelo Kegel Balls have retraction cords, they’re pretty easy to remove:
- Lie down in a comfortable position and add some lube to your vaginal opening. This will make the removal process more comfortable.
- Slowly pull on the retraction cord until the balls fall out of your body.
6. Clean and Store the Beads
To keep your pleasure beads in tip-top shape, you’ll need to clean them after each use. If you use the silicone harness, make sure to disassemble the beads before cleaning.
- Wash the balls and harness off with warm water and antibacterial soap.
- Pat dry with a lint-free towel.
Never clean them with any alcohol-based substances, as these may harm the balls.
Store your Luna beads inside of a container in a dust-free place. Make sure to keep them out of direct sunlight since intense heat can cause irreparable damage.
Benefits of Using Luna Beads
There are several excellent benefits of using Luna Beads to strengthen your pelvic floor. I’ll go over 5 of the main advantages in detail below:
- Using Luna beads keeps you healthy during pregnancy and delivery. When you’re pregnant, the weight of your growing child puts a significant strain on your pelvic floor muscles. Using Kegel balls keeps these muscles strong, which can decrease the damage. Additionally, strong pelvic muscles make you better equipped for labor and birth.
- It helps you to avoid/heal from pregnancy-related health complications. During pregnancy, you’re more likely to experience uterine prolapse, which is basically when the pelvic muscles become so weak they can no longer support your uterus, causing it to sag. Performing Kegel exercises can prevent this from happening. However, if it does happen, Kegel exercises are also one of the recommended treatments!
- It aids in postpartum recovery after birth. During labor and delivery, your pelvic floor muscles are stretched and pulled, which can cause quite a bit of damage, especially if you had weak pelvic muscles to begin with. However, using Luna Beads will help keep your pelvic muscles healthy, allowing you to recover much faster.
- It can increase bladder control to help avoid urinary incontinence. Kegel balls increase your neuromuscular control in your pelvic region. This gives you better control of your bladder to help prevent you from accidentally “going” the next time you cough or sneeze!
- It leads to more pleasurable sex. Performing Kegel exercises can help reduce pelvic pain during intercourse. Additionally, strengthening these muscles can lead to more enjoyable sex and intensified orgasms (Uhm, yes, please)!
Lelo Luna Balls are a fantastic tool to help strengthen your pelvic floor.
If you’re a beginner, start by inserting one pink or blue ball. However, if you’re more advanced, feel free to insert 2 balls to intensify the experience.
Once you’ve inserted the Luna Balls, use your pelvic floor muscles to lift them upwards and inwards five times. Perform 3 sets of this exercise per day for the best results.
If you continue to perform these exercises, you’ll strengthen your pelvic floor. This can lead to many benefits, including better childbirth experience, enhanced bladder control, and intensified orgasm!